Updating to 1.2Player 1.2 is a free update, primarily for MacOS versions up thru 8.1. It (and earlier releases of Player) may not work well on MacOS 8.5. We distribute Player 1.2 as a free double-clickable updater for Player 1.1. If you still have an earlier version of Player, first download and run the free Player 1.1 updater.
Updating the Player extension
- if necessary, unpack the file using StuffIt Expander or Mindvision's MindExpander.
- double click on the updater and follow the prompt to select Player (which is probably in the Extensions folder of your System Folder)
- after the updater has finished, backup the old copy of Player (e.g. on a floppy or in a compressed archive)
- drag the old Player to the trash
- empty the trash
- in rare cases, a second restart will be necessary
If the updater doesn't recognize your copy of Player or Runtime as valid, try updating the original copy that you received when you purchased the product.
Updating the Player Runtime extensionInstead of providing a direct updater for Runtime 1.1, we provide a way to create a copy of Runtime 1.2 directly.
- double-click on the file "Create Player Runtime 1.2" and follow the prompt to select the new Player 1.2. After a moment, Player Runtime will appear in the same folder. If Runtime is in the Extensions folder, move it completely out of the System Folder. (You should not have both Player and Runtime in the System Folder at the same time. That may cause a crash.)
- If you already have Runtime installed on a user machine (i.e. that does not have Player installed), drag it from the Extensions folder to the trash, drag the new Runtime 1.2 to the Extensions folder, restart & empty the trash.
Please remember that Runtime is not free. We include 1 Runtime license with the purchase of Player; contact us to license additional copies. (See the Order Form for details.)
Updating your scripts
- All of your scripts should work with no modifications.
- If you used long mouse delays to workaround pop-up menu problems, you should be able to eliminate them. (In rare cases, short delays such as 7 may be required. We suggest trying with no extra delay.)
- Double-click "PlayerExtras.utils.tickSound" and confirm to replace the existing copy. If you don't have a SimpleText "glue" table in the apps table, double-click on "SimpleText.Frontier" to install it.
Copyright 1993-99, PreFab Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This site built and maintained using Stage Three, a set of custom Frontier scripts.